Skip to main content

Gaslands Tabletop Game - Hot Wheels Conversion 1 WIP

Hey Dudes,

Gaslands, a post-apocalyptic car combat miniatures game where you take Hot Wheels, or Matchbox 1/64 scale toy cars and convert/paint them up for the theme. I heard about it on the Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast and checked out a bit of the action on Instagram and was really blown away by the concept and the review the boys gave the game. I bought the rules and had a read through and I loved the template style movement, the gear sections which are like phases for each round are a really cool system and the combat seems good. 

I got this monster truck and maybe 10 cars, I didn't want to go too hardcore on the guns and shit just yet, I also figure a monster truck should probably be about ripping around running shit down and doing jumps so I've gone with extra armour and maybe a few hidden upgrades like nitrous. I'll paint two teams up and get a battlefield terrain setup done so I can try and convince my mates to get into it and see where it goes.

As the Secret Cabal guys discussed, I really like the fact that you can get legit gaming in with super basement price toys and go from there. It's a total flip from the Forgeworld/GW style pricing and I think it's a platform that really rewards the hobbyist because you get out what you put in.

And to that point.. What was the Monster Jam Jester, ia now a post-apocalyptic monster truck, I scraped back the decals, got the Dremel out and cut one of the doors out then cut the body so it sits lower on the chassis. While I had the Dremel I spun the tyres using one of the sanding bits and scrubbed the fronts in and wore the back ones out. I used mesh, plasticard and a couple little GW bits to add some extra armour, a roo bar and a spottie on the roof.



The original toy kit.

I took it apart, scraped the decals back and started adding some reinforcement and armour to the body.

Scrubbed in tyres and some spaced armour. 
I added some rim spikes like on the war rig in Fury Road and made a little roo bar from a Warhammer banner topper and some plasticard. I think the spottie came from an IG infantryman back pack.

The other side, I cut the door out and knocked one up, I added some mesh spaced armour.

Primed up it's looking pretty good, I forgot too but I actually made up the rear fender flares too.

Base green down with a Dark Iron finish on everything else, I put chipping fluid on under the green and I really like how the scratches came out after working it.

Looking very Jurassic Park! I have the body pretty much complete now, I rusted up the armour a little and fired some mud and dust up the wheel wells. I've gotta take the mask off the window once it's finished and sealed so I can do a little dusting on the window but still maintain the gloss where the wipers would track. 

Overall pretty stoked, as I said before I think it's a platform that really rewards the hobbyist, to take it from the toy it was to a weathered model with custom plasticard additions has actually been really enjoyable. I've got the wheels and chassis to finish off tomorrow before I put up some finished pics, I'll do another two buggies in the same scheme and finish out the first team.

Cheers guys, thanks for checking in.

Jack

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acastus Knight Porphyrion COMPLETED!!!!!

Acacstus Knight Porhpyrion, easily the biggest and most complex kit build and paint job I have ever done for a gaming miniature. I'm really happy with the result but the 60 hrs I spent on getting it finished kinda baked my noodle. I have no idea how the titan painters get through it! Anyway here are some studio shots, let me know what you think! House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion House Makabius - Acastus Knight Porphyrion

Mors Miles - The Death Knight - Legio Vulpa Maniple 13.

Next up, the Princeps Senoris of my favourite maniple style in the game, the Ferrox! Princeps Senoris Agdex is a lead from the front type homie. He has a flair for destruction and more often than not, his Assault Reaver Titan - Mors Miles isn't spared from copping it either. I play Mors Miles and it's matching counterpart Atro Messorum quite aggressively, often pushing the two up together then rotating the lead titan so they can share the damage taken before dishing it back out within the Melta half range. In the most recent event, Mors Miles was detonated in 2/5 games due to this play style but it created opportunities to take the objectives or for other Titans in the battlegroup to get the kill shots while also claiming quite a few engine kills of his own. Mors Miles - The Death Knight - Legio Vulpa Maniple 13. Princeps Senoris Agdex headed up a Ferrox Maniple deployed to Enterigar III from the helm of his assault Reaver - Mors Miles. An aggressiv

Adeptus Titanicus - Legio Vulpa Maniple Pics

G'day g'day, I've been slowly chipping away at some more Titans and I'm starting to get a decent Maniple of engines on the go now so I thought it was a good time to update the blog! Thanks for checking in, Jackie Adeptus Titanicus - Legio Vulpa Battlegroup Legio Vulpa Warlord Titan - Nuntio Dolores Legio Vulpa Warlord Titan - Nuntio Dolores Legio Vulpa Warlord Titan - Nuntio Dolores Legio Vulpa Warlord Titan - Perditor Votum Legio Vulpa Warlord Titan - Perditor Votum Legio Vulpa Warlord Titan - Perditor Votum Legio Vulpa Warhound Titan - Canis Callidus Legio Vulpa Warhound Titan - Canis Callidus Legio Vulpa Warhound Titan - Canis Callidus Legio Vulpa Warhound Titan - Potentia Solis Legio Vulpa Warhound Titan - Potentia Solis Legio Vulpa Warhound Titan - Potentia Solis Legio Vulpa Reaver Titan - Praefuro Ignis Legio Vulpa Reaver Titan - Praefuro Ignis Legio Vulpa Reaver Titan - Praefur